It's not easy to open a bank account with a tourist visa.
It is possible, but it's really hard.
Below are required documents from Bangkok Bank.
1. Foreigner with a work permit
- Work Permit
2. Foreigner without work permit
- A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
- Embassy located in Thailand
- An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT
- Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
- Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
- Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.
Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).
3. Foreigner with permanent residence in Thailand
- Passport, Certificate of Residence, or Alien Certificate
- House Registration document
Technically, it is not easy to get a reference letter. But if you are a ed-visa holder, they accept it instead of work permit or reference letters.
Moreover, it seems to vary by branch. Some would just say no no no. So it's just like the matter of probablities.
But many people say that "Bangkok Bank" and "Kasikorn Bank" tend to be more friendly to foreigners.
This article was updated on 2022-10-07.
Featured ArticlesCheck out other articles
Khao soi is a popular and traditional dish from Northern Thailand, particularly from the city of Chiang Mai. It is a noodle soup made with a rich, creamy and slightly spicy curry sauce, coconut milk, | Chiang Mai Master
Cost of Living It is cheap. Local people here lives a month with around $400. Digital Nomads who will live here for more than 3 months will cost around $900 per month. Your Grab Deliver | Chiang Mai Master
There are four main types of Thai visas. 1. Tourist Visa 2. Non-Immigrant Visa with work permit 3. Non-Immigrant Visa witout work permit 4. Elite Visa In this article, I'll only | Chiang Mai Master
Accommodation Monthly rent of a condominium 1-bedroom 40sqm 10,000 ~ 20,000 THB 2-bedroom 50-60sqm 20,000 ~ 25,000 THB Foods If you order a local dish and a drink at a local eatery, 10 | Chiang Mai Master
By bus Many say that the best way to get from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai without a car is to take a bus which takes 3h 55m and costs ฿200 - ฿390. There are 3 bus terminals in Chi | Chiang Mai Master
By airplane Airplane is the fastest way obviously. It takes only 70 minutes to travel from Bangkok and Chiang Mai. There are two airports you can choose from in Bangkok. Bangkok Suvarnabhumi I | Chiang Mai Master